PE & Sports Grant Funding 2017-2018
The PE & Sports Grant is an allocation of additional funding provided to schools to improve PE & Sport participation and ensure that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles.
In 2017-2018 the PE & Sports Grant allocation of £10,553 is being used to :
- Employ high quality coaching staff from and Artis, who use the performing arts to ‘physicalise’ the curriculum
- Provide an enhanced range of outdoor learning experiences for the children including : forest schools activities, day visits for Key Stage 2 pupils to outdoor learning centres, training of a member of school staff in Forest School Leadership and the development of an outdoor learning space on the school site.
- The introduction of new ‘try your hand’ taster sports clubs to encourage pupils to have a go at new sports including table tennis, volleyball and badminton.
- The introduction of a ‘gifted and talented’ football training session for identified pupils.
This will impact on children by:
- assisting teaching staff in developing their teaching skills in aspects of PE & Sports with a view to improving the quality and level of provision across the school
- providing a focused programme of dance for all pupils
- to provide a range of additional after school multi-sports clubs to allow children to try out and experience sports activities
- make learning more physically active
- impacting on the Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural development of our children through boosting achievement, improve speaking & listening skills and building confidence and self-esteem
- creating the interests and habits needed in later life to maintain an active lifestyle
- opportunities for pupils in KS2 to participate in an outdoor activities day experience
- introducing pupils to new sports in which they may excel
- providing high quality coaching to extend and develop our most able footballers
How do we know if this is making a difference and has a sustainable impact?
Teachers monitor the progress of all our pupils on a half-termly basis. We consider the progress of individual children over time to ensure they are developing physically, learning new skills and enjoying PE & Sport. Our children tell us that they enjoy the various PE & Sports activities that we provide and that they benefit from the additional coaching sessions.
The primary purpose of this funding is to ensure that all children have the opportunity to participate in PE & Sports activities that are challenging and promote a healthy lifestyle. The activities provided over time have worked well and children responded enthusiastically to the various activities due to the quality of coaching. Teaching staff clearly benefit from the professional input from the coaches and this has enhanced other PE & Sports activities the school provides. The development of teaching staff has allowed us to build capacity and ensure sustainability through their enhanced skill development.
We understand that healthy lifestyles are about more than just what happens in school and that habits formed in childhood directly impact on the lifestyles children form as adults. As such, and as part of our continuous work on SMSC, we encourage participation in physical activities outside of school.
Please visit Change4Life for more information about activities in our area.
For further information about the levels of activity children should take part in please visit the NHS physical activity guidelines for young people.
PE & Sports Grant Report 2016-2017